WHY YOU WANT TO WORK HERE
At Flight Network we’ve been pioneers in the online travel industry for 12 years now, and we’re not done growing just yet. With our unique ability to offer the best pricing on flights and with our industry leading technology, we’ve become the largest Canadian owned online travel agency in Canada and are expanding globally as well! Today we’ve got employees in Canada, India, Australia, and the USA. Our website sees millions of unique visitors on an annual basis and that number is growing.
If you’re looking for a technical challenge, a motivated team, and the chance to work in a $1.3 trillion industry, search no further.
THINGS THAT MAKE THIS JOB INTERESTING
The people are cool and working with a passionate team is what keeps us here. There are a lot of challenges and room for improvement. We are constantly investing in technology and people development.
- We teach and try to make ourselves redundant
- We automate everything and concentrate on value-added projects
- We are constantly improving our security & compliance posture
- We work on migrating legacy systems to our new infrastructure
- We help move the world by making our systems performant & scalable
A DAY IN THE LIFE:
Working closely with Software Engineers, you will be helping them to deploy and operate various production systems and processes.
We are looking for a very technical hands-on experienced and security-focused Senior DevOps Engineer. As our new Senior DevOps Engineer, you will be in charge of ensuring the highest levels of stability, uptime, security, maintainability, scalability and performance of our production systems. In addition, you will be developing new features and writing scripts for automation using Perl/Ruby/Python/Groovy/Java/Bash. There’s no hard and fast rule which language to use, other than just use the best tool for the job. We expect you to take ownership and to start implementing solutions and solving problems right away. We will expect you to contribute ideas to improve our architecture and our processes in addition to writing code.
Duties and responsibilities:
- Understand and utilize various open source technologies
- Use various tools (Foreman and Puppet) to orchestrate solutions
- Build independent web based tools, microservices and solutions
- Write scripts and automation using Perl/Ruby/Python/Groovy/Java/Bash/etc
- Configure and manage data sources like MySQL, PostgreSQL, Memcache, Redis, Splunk, Elasticsearch, etc
- Understand how various systems work and their dependencies
- Understand how IT and Infrastructure operations are managed
- Manage source control including SVN and/or GIT
- Install, secure, monitor, manage and maintain Unix/Linux servers on scale
- Ensure Unix/Linux standards, processes, procedures and security best practices are implemented, efficient, effective and documented
- Teach other team members what you know and grow the team’s technical level and expertise
A LITTLE BIT ABOUT YOU:
- Bachelor’s Degree or MS in Engineering or equivalent
- 10+ years of experience in managing Unix/Linux based infrastructure
- 10+ years of hands-on experience at least in one scripting language
- 5+ years of hands-on experience with databases including MySQL, PostgreSQL, Memcache, Redis, Splunk & Elasticsearch
- Working knowledge of complex web hosting configuration components, including firewalls, load balancers, web servers, application servers and databases
- Knowledge of Java/JVM based languages
- Sense of ownership and pride in your performance and its impact on company’s success
- Critical thinker and problem-solving skills
- Team player
- Good time-management skills
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to secure and lock down systems
- Disaster recovery planning and experience building high availability systems
- AWS experience
- Experience with docker and container management systems
- Experience with CI/CD systems such as Bamboo or Jenkins
- Solid understanding of networking (L3/L4 routing)
A real person will read your resume and anything else you send us (no bribes or 8x10 glossies, please). We will review your submission and contact you if we think there is a fit. We’d love to get back to every person that applies, but we’re only human (for now).
AND BY THE WAY, HERE’S WHAT ELSE YOU’LL GET:
- Competitive Salary and benefits package
- Free breakfast, snacks, and drinks everyday. Weekly catered lunch.
- Flexible hours
- Downtown location with easy access to transit
- Pick your hardware (We’re both Mac, Linux and Windows friendly)